If you are a regular/full-time or regular/part-time employee you are eligible for twelve (12) paid holidays during the year. Nine (9) of these are scheduled holidays and three (3) are unscheduled. Temporary employees are not eligible for paid holidays, regardless of work commitment.
The nine scheduled holidays recognized by the University System of Georgia are as follows:
- New Year's Day January 1st
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 3rd Monday in January
- Memorial Day 4th Monday in May
- Independence Day July 4th
- Labor Day 1st Monday in September
- Thanksgiving Day 4th Thursday in November and the day before and following
- Christmas Day December 25th plus one additional day
Supervisors in areas which must provide services on holidays should permit as many of their employees as possible to follow the holiday schedule. The remaining employees should be permitted to take equivalent time off, either before or after each holiday.
The twelve authorized holidays are established as eight-hour days. Therefore, any hours over eight on an established holiday will be charged to the employee's annual leave balance. Offices must be open on all days which are not specifically designated as holidays. If days in excess of those listed are requested, the employee must file a request for annual leave in advance. Sick leave requests will not be honored for days taken immediately preceding or following the holiday periods unless they are taken as a result of a continuous illness.