STEM Scholars Program
Closed to new applications for 2020 -2021
About the program
The Cohort Community for Academic Achievement, Persistence and Perseverance in STEM Scholar (CAPS2) Program seeks to increase the number of students, with academic talent and financial need, who major in STEM disciplines and go on to complete their baccalaureate degrees within four years and successfully pursue STEM post-graduate education or research careers. To achieve this, 18 scholars from biology, chemistry, mathematics, engineering and computer science will be recruited as cohort groups to participate in a 4-year structured program that links financial support with academic, professional and social support.
This Program is funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation-Division of Undergraduate Education, Award #1564712
Participation in hands-on Research, Attendance at Conferences, Peer Mentoring, Success Coaching
- Up to $7000 Scholarship each Year ($3500/academic semester)
- Four Years of Support Possible
- Participation in Research
- Attendance at Conferences
- Peer Mentoring
- Success Coaching
- The average GPA of scholars is 3.63
- Scholar’s pass rate in STEM courses is above the institutional pass rates.
- Scholars retention rate (active) is >80%.
To be considered, you must:
- Be accepted to Albany State University as an incoming freshman for fall semester.
- Complete the Albany State University STEM Scholarship application scan and return it as a pdf attachment by email to Dr. Louise Wrensford at email@example.com or hardcopy to the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs located in the Billy C. Black (BCB) building Room 389.
- Declare a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) major with a career interest in non-health/clinical field
- Submit two letters of recommendation; one must be from a STEM faculty member (college or high school, as appropriate)
- Enroll as an incoming freshman with a combined Math Verbal SAT/ACT of at least 1000/21 and a 3.0 or higher overall GPA (unweighted)
- Advance through the interview process with the S-STEM scholarship
- Demonstrate financial need
Each scholarship recipient receives up to $7,000 per year for up to four years, depending on financial need, provided the student maintains the scholarship requirements. The student must make appropriate progress each semester toward the degree requirements for the major.
To receive an application form or to learn more about this scholarship opportunity, please contact us: