(includes Overview & STEM Support Program)
This program increases the number of STEM students entering graduate and professional schools, and provides faculty development opportunities for STEM faculty.
- Reduce the attrition rate of students in gateway courses by 10%
- Increase the number of STEM students entering graduate and professional schools.
- Provide faculty development opportunities for STEM faculty.
- Increase the number of entering freshmen at Albany State University who declare STEM majors by 5-10%.
- Increase the number of transfer students in the STEM major from 2-year colleges by 5%.
- Increase the research capabilities and experiences of STEM students and faculty.
STEM Support Program
HBCU-UP offers $1,000 to entering ASU freshmen STEM majors who participate in our two year program, starting this summer.
Our program offers $500 plus full room and board for successful completion of the summer program AND a $500 educational allowance upon registration in the Fall.
Come join our Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics faculty members!
The Sustained System for Student Support will jump start your college STEM studies and give you a firm foundation before your first day of class. You will join others like you – incoming students in Math, Computer Science, Chemistry and Biology – to:
- Hone your critical thinking skills
- Fine tune your study skills
- Develop your math skills
- Have fun with science-related field trips
- Learn how research works
- Improve your writing skills
- Orient yourself to the campus community
- Get a head start on your college career!
After the summer program is over, your group will stay together through your first two years at Albany State, along with your faculty mentors. You will take specially re-designed mathematics and science courses together as a cohort. This learning community will help you to adapt to life in college and success in STEM studies. After your first year, you will be asked to mentor the next group of students.
This is not just about you, and it’s not just about Albany State. The nation needs more under-represented minority professionals in science, technology, math and engineering. Our four year project at ASU is designed to help, and we want you to be part of the solution!
How to Join
The summer program will begin June 24, 2018. To qualify, you will need to be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident enrolled at Albany State University as a Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics or Computer Science major. You will also need to meet specific criteria for SAT scores and high school GPA.
Please email us at the address below to get more information.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Have submitted to Admissions Office your:
- High school transcripts and GPA
- SAT and/or ACT scores
- Send two letters of recommendation from your high school math or science teachers to firstname.lastname@example.org