Center for Undergraduate Research (CUR)
Call for Proposals
Fall 2018 – Spring 2019 Undergraduate Research Program
Students are VERY STRONGLY encouraged to complete the
application with their prospective ASU faculty mentor
Student researchers must hold a GPA of 2.5 or higher. A faculty mentor must agree to partner with the student researcher and supervise the student research. Faculty mentors should provide necessary resources, materials, and supplies required for the research project. Program dates are September 21, 2018 – November 2, 2018. If selected, you and your faculty mentor will be required to attend the program orientation session that is tentatively scheduled for Friday, September 21, 2018, 11:00am – 12:00pm.
- Applications that are completed and submitted by the above due date with all the necessary information and documentation will be considered for participation.
- Applications with clear ideas and specific aims (overall strategy, methodology, and analysis), and proper proposal formatting for the respective discipline will be considered.
- Additional review criteria will include the significance, the innovation, and the impact of the project.
- Projects that have potential to be published in refereed research journals will be given a high priority.
- New faculty members or faculty members who do not have major grants and would like to use the projects to stimulate major grant proposals are encouraged to apply.
- General payment guidelines are as follows for those selected:
- One individual student will receive up to $1,000 across two semesters for full participation in the CUR Program (paid, in equal parts, following satisfactory completion of program requirements for Fall Semester 2018 and Spring Semester 2019).
- Two or more students working on the same project will receive up to $1,000 across two semesters for full participation in the CUR Program (divided equally among student participants and paid, in equal parts, following satisfactory completion of program requirements for Fall Semester 2018 and Spring Semester 2019).
- The primary faculty mentor will receive up to $1,000 across two semesters for full participation in the CUR Program (paid, in equal parts, following satisfactory completion of program requirements for Fall Semester 2018 and Spring Semester 2019). Secondary mentors will not receive compensation.
- Student researchers are required to present their research at the ASU Undergraduate Research Conferences (Friday, October 26, 2018 and tentatively, Friday, April 19, 2019). Student researchers are also required to attend mandatory enrichment workshops/events and prepare and submit prescribed research reports at the end of each program term.
- Research projects may or may not be a part of academic course in which the student will receive academic credit including research courses.
- Research projects must be new projects and cannot be projects that have been presented at another conference nor should they be projects that have been previously submitted and accepted by ASU’s Undergraduate Research program for funding/participation. The project cannot be one that is being funded by another grant.
- Since these are academic based research projects, it is a requirement that only ASU faculty members act as mentors for the student researchers.
The acceptance period has now ended.