|Fall & Spring Hours of Operation|
|Monday – Friday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm|
The Albany State University Writing Center is designed to help students, free of charge, develop the writing skills necessary to achieve success not only in college courses at ASU, but also in their careers after graduation. Writing proficiently ensures success academically and in the workplace. The Writing Center staff is committed to providing constructive feedback throughout the writing process at all ability levels, utilizing an active learning approach that allows students to take complete responsibility for their success. The Writing Center will assist in all writing assignments for all academic disciplines, not just English writing courses, and is committed to providing a site where students can complete their writing assignments in a supportive environment free from distraction and disruption.
What should I bring with me?
- A copy of the assignment as given by your instructor.
- If requesting a conference, bring a printed copy of your rough draft
- A list of any specific questions you would like to ask, such as:
- Is my thesis clear?
- Do I have enough supporting details?
- Do I have effective transitions from paragraph to paragraph?
- Do I have enough information to document my sources correctly?
Please be aware that the Writing Center is not a drop-off editing service or a “fast food” stop for instant perfect papers. The staff at the Writing Center is here to assist you in focusing your writing, assist you with revisions, give constructive feedback, and tutor you in the proper ways of completing your writing assignment. You should allow ample time to work with the staff.
Writing Center Policies
- Writing Center consultation services are provided on a first-come, first-served basis. No appointment is necessary.
- The Writing Center offers consultation and guidance at all stages of the writing process for writing projects across the curriculum. Please note that we do NOT write the paper for you, nor do we do what would be considered “proofreading.”
- Writing Center conferences to review writing assignments may last from just a few minutes up to a 30-minute maximum. After the conference, the student will be given a summary of areas discussed in the conference. The student should then make edits and revisions based on the suggestions made in the conference. The student may return for another conference after edits and revisions have been made.
- Students may have no more than two conferences per day.
- Drop-in visits to the Writing Center to ask a quick question or two are always welcome.
- The Writing Center computers may be used for writing assignments, research, and writing tutorial purposes ONLY.
- Students should NOT expect to come to the Center on the day a paper is due! Students should not wait until the last minute; often, several revisions must be made before a paper is ready for final submission.
Does this service cost anything?
The Writing Center is FREE! Come in and let us help you achieve your writing success today!