Please arrive to the Civic Center dressed in your cap and wrinkle-free gown. For attire under the gown, we recommend dark pants and dark shoes for men, with a white or light-colored collared shirt. We recommend a dress or dark trousers and comfortable shoes for women. We also recommend extra hair pins to secure your mortarboard. For safety reasons, please do not wear casual sandals or slippers or extremely high heels.
You will need both of your hands free during the ceremony; please do not bring purses, bags, or Go Pros to the Civic Center. Leave valuables with a trusted friend or family member.
All degree candidates must be in full authorized regalia (cap, gown, and authorized stole and/or cords).
- Degree candidates must not attempt to wear (or bring) any type of sign or unapproved wording on the mortar board or elsewhere. The candidate will be asked to remove the sign(s) or other unapproved articles, or risk being removed from the procession by the ASU Police.
- Degree candidates must not wear anything on the regalia that is not approved by the Registrar and Chief Marshal; doing so will put you at risk of being removed from the processional by the ASU Police.
- Caps should be worn straight on the head with the front point in the center of the forehead. The Bachelor’s tassel should be worn on the right side and shifted to the left side at the designated time.
- No flowers or decorative jewelry should be worn.
Parameters for decorating caps worn at the University Commencement:
- Design must adhere to university rules and student code of conduct.
- Designs are encouraged to be positive and/or inspirational.
- Decorated caps must be approved at the graduation rehearsal.
- The Marshall assigned to support the College and it’s Dean will be responsible for cap review and approval. If there is any objection related to cap review, the Chief Marshal will render the final decision.
The following items are banned:
- Anything that sticks up above the top of the cap.
- Anything hanging down the sides and back (bows, for example).
- Strands of light.
- Inappropriate content (no profanity, vulgarity, negative images, no political statements and/or references, criticism of other persons or groups, etc.).
Cap and gowns may be ordered online at https://collegegrad.herffjones.com/. The deadline for placing orders online is October 26, 2018. If you failed to order graduation regalia prior to the above deadline, contact the bookstore manager at either campus to determine whether or not regalia is available. Supplemental caps, gowns and tassels were ordered but will be distributed on a first come, first served basis for those who did not place the order by the online order deadline.
Cap and Gown pick up begins November 27 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. at both the East and West campus bookstores. Pick up will be at the location you chose when placing the order. Prior to leaving the bookstore, please be sure your regalia package includes a gown, hood, cap and tassel. Also, be sure your gown and cap fit before leaving the ASU Bookstore.
The $75 cost of the regalia is included in the graduation fee already paid to the university. Hoods and stoles must be paid for separately by the graduate.