To: Faculty and Staff at Albany State University and Darton State College
From: Arthur N. Dunning, President
Albany State University
Richard Carvajal, Interim President
Darton State College
Subject: Consolidation Update
As you know, the Consolidation Implementation Committee for Albany State University and Darton State College has been identified and was charged by Chancellor Hank Huckaby at a meeting December 9 in Atlanta.
The chancellor and his team reiterated the goals of the consolidation between the two institutions; one of the primary ones being to create administrative cost savings that can be reinvested into the academic enterprise. The effort will result in the creation of a new university with nearly 9,000 students serving the community and the region with a range of degrees suited to their economic needs.
The following information was shared with committee members.
- The first priority of the committee is to develop a mission statement, which will be recommended to the Board of Regents for their approval in spring 2016.
- Although the process will inevitably be labor intensive, the extraordinary opportunities and rewards to be yielded will positively transform the state of higher education within the southwest Georgia region.
- Pursue the effort from a global perspective, placing emphasis on purpose, mission and impact.
- Particular focus should be given to the needs of the region and how those needs influence educational pursuit and attainment.
- Based on past consolidations, working groups convene to address and complete matters and issues based on a 900-item checklist.
- Adopting a language that reflects inclusiveness is important, with “We” becoming the operative word.
Please visit the consolidation website for information and updates. Thank you for your support. We look forward to working with you on this effort.