Welcome to the Disability Student Services Center at Albany State University. Our goal is to promote an accessible academic, social, and physical environment for students with disabilities.
The Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504, provides the foundation for equal access for students with disabilities. The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 furthers civil rights of persons with disabilities by mandating equal educational opportunity. These laws guide Albany State University in its commitment to serve qualified students. The Counseling and Student Disabilities Services (CSDS) office serves as the primary advocate for students with disabilities who attend ASU.
The procedure for registering with the Disability Student Services Center is outlined below.
- Complete the Voluntary Disclosure Form which can be obtained by clicking here or by calling our office at (229) 903-3610. If you would like to speak with someone prior to registering for services, please complete a Contact Requestand you will be contacted by the Disability Coordinator.
- Appropriate documentation is necessary to determine your eligibility for services. A written report must be submitted by a qualified provider that is current and clearly states:
- diagnosis with specific evidence of a disability
- symptoms of the disability
- test scores which support a cognitive or learning disability
- medications and any adverse side effects
- recommendations regarding necessary accommodations
Documentation can be sent to:
Disability Student Services Center
Albany State University
504 College Drive
New Student Center Green Zone 2-141
Albany, GA 31705
- After you have completed Request for Services Form and documentation are received, you will be contacted to arrange a time to meet.
- If you require accommodations for ASU placement tests, please contact the CSDS coordinator. After your completed Request for Services Form and documentation are received, you will be contacted to arrange a time to meet.
Please feel free to contact me at (229) 903-3611 or email me at Velsenna.King@asurams.edu if you have any questions.
Velsenna King MS, CRC
Disability Student Services Coordinator