If any of the above are taking place
please contact ASU PD (229) 430-4711 or 911 immediately.
- Make sure you are not in danger. Get to a safe place for cover.
- Avoid pulling the fire alarm and be aware if the fire alarm is pulled. The shooter may pull the alarm to gain access to potential victims.
- Be ready to fight, run or hide to ensure you survive the incident.
- If you barricade in a safe area, turn off lights, cell phone and keep quiet until an all clear is presented by the police.
- Try to calm others down if possible in the event barricaded in a safe area.
All Faculty, Staff and Students should attend training provided by the Albany State University Police Department on how to respond and react to an “Active Shooter Incident.”
- A tornado warning is issued when a tornado has been sighted, or indicated by weather radar, in the area.
- It iss important to monitor local TV and radio stations, weather radio, weather related internet sites, etc., for severe weather updates.
- Be prepared to take shelter in designated shelter areas and proceed to the lowest point in a building.
- The ASU PD will send out a Connect 5 message and sound the Emergency Sirens in the event of a Tornado Warning.
- Do not pull fire alarms.
- Stay away from windows and avoid the outside area to include vehicles.
- Bomb threats are usually called in by phone. Always remain calm and obtain as much information as possible from the caller.
- Where is the bomb located? (Building area, floor, room, etc.)
- When does it look like?
- What time is the bomb going off?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- Did you place the bomb?
- What is your name?
- Notify the ASU PD at (229) 430-4711 or 911 immediately to give the information you have obtained- Describe the caller’s voice, any background noises you heard, and the exact wording of the message.
- If the bomb threat is received by a handwritten note, call the ASU PD (229) 430-4711 and handle the note as minimally as possible.
- Do not touch suspicious packages! Be sure to inform the ASU PD of any suspicious packages, items or people in the area.
- Follow instructions from the Building Safety and Security Representative and the first responders in regards to evacuation assembly areas.