ASU Police Department
Sexual Assault – Sexual Harassment
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX) and its regulations dictate that no individual may be discriminated against on the basis of sex in any education program of activity receiving Federal financial assistance. Sexual harassment of students is a form of prohibited sex discrimination.
Title IX covers:
- Gender equality with access to higher education.
- Gender equality in athletics.
- Gender equality in career paths (i.e. women cannot be excluded from shop class).
- Pregnant women and women with children cannot be denied an education.
- Equal opportunity in employment – especially in educational environments.
- Gender equality in the educational environment, eliminating stereotypes.
- Gender equality in access to upper level math and science.
- Freedom from sexual harassment.*
- Standardized tests must be valid predictors for both genders.
- Gender equality in the exposure and instruction of technology.
- Sexual misconduct investigation.
*Sexual harassment is unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature. It includes unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal, nonverbal, or physical conduct of a sexual nature. Sexual violence is a form of sexual harassment prohibited by Title IX. Albany State University is committed to creating and maintaining a community in which all persons can work and learn together in an atmosphere free of all forms of discrimination and harassment. We follow the University System of Georgia’s Policy to Prohibit Discrimination & Harassment.
*Sexual assault refers to any crime in which the offender subjects the victim to sexual touching that is unwanted and offensive. These crimes can range from sexual groping or assault, to attempted rape.
USG Policy to Prohibit Discrimination & Harassment
If you have been the victim of or have witnessed sexual discrimination or harassment, you should notify a campus official as soon as possible. Any of the following individuals will assist you:
|Campus Police||(229) 430-4711|
|Mrs. CaDedria D. Hill, Compliance Officer/Title IX Coordinator||(229) 500-3302|
|ASU Health Services||(229) 500-3546|
|Dr. Stephanie Harris-Jolly, Counseling Services||(229) 500-3442|
|Residence Hall Staff||(229) 500-3062|
|Office of Student Affairs||(229) 500-2039|
|Any Faculty Advisor or trusted member of the Albany State University Faculty, Staff, or Administration.|