Federal Perkins Loans

A Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5 percent) loan for both undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need. Federal Perkins Loans are made through a school's financial aid office. Your school is your lender, and the loan is made with government funds. You must repay this loan to your school.
Your school will either pay you directly (usually by check) or apply your loan to your school charges. You'll receive the loan in at least two payments during the academic year. 

How do I APPLY?

The Department of Education no longer provides funds for the Perkins Loan program to Albany State University. The Funds are limited as they are generated from collections and payments from prior borrowers. To apply for a Perkins Loan, please contact your Financial Aid Advisor.  Please understand that due to the exceptional financial need requirement, you may not be eligible for the funds.

How much can I borrow?

You can borrow up to $4,000 for each year of undergraduate study (the total you can borrow as an undergraduate is $20,000). The amount you receive depends on when you apply, your financial need, and the funding level at the school.

Other than interest, is there a charge for this loan?

No, there are no other charges. However, if you skip a payment, if it's late, or if you make less than a full payment, you might have to pay a late charge plus any collection costs.

When do I pay it back?

If you're attending school at least half time, you have nine months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time status before you must begin repayment. This is called "grace period." If you're attending less than half time, check with your college or career school to find out how long your grace period will be. For more information on repaying and your obligations as a borrower, click on the "Repaying" section of this Web site. Click Here