SOAR Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Why is orientation necessary?
- At Albany State University, we feel it is very important for incoming students to become acquainted with the campus and residence life. During orientation, students will register for fall semester classes and learn about the many organizations and facilities at ASU. Orientation is MANDATORY for all incoming freshmen, and transfers.
Why does Albany State University charge money for a mandatory orientation?
- Most universities and colleges charge for orientation fees whether you realize it or not. Some institutions pass the cost on in your tuition bill or in other areas. The fact is there are many costs associated with orientation (e.g. food, materials, staff and some activities). We choose not to hide this cost.
How much is SOAR? What does this fee cover?
- The cost for SOAR is $50.00 and includes the cost of all meals for the two (2) day session, one (1) night lodging and orientation materials. SOAR Too is $35.00, which includes the cost of meals and orientation materials.
Who attends orientation?
- All students who are new to Albany State University are required to attend Orientation. This includes new freshmen and transfer students.
What do students need to bring for Orientation?
- A personal file of your ASU admission information including admission letters, grade reports, copies of transcripts from other colleges, placement test scores, financial aid forms, and everything else related to your enrollment.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes. Be prepared for walking outside and variable weather.
- Change of clothes and toiletries as needed. This is a mandatory overnight program. You will be on campus for two days.
- Bed & Bath Linens: (1) pillow, (1) blanket, (1) set of sheets, (1) bath towel, and (1) wash cloth.
- Personal Hygiene Items (toothpaste, toothbrush, shower gel, etc.)
How do I register for orientation?
- Register for orientation online by clicking here to access the Online Registration link or by phone by calling (229) 430-3978.
What methods of payment can I use to pay the orientation fee?
- The orientation registration payment can be on site or by mail paid by personal check, cashier's check or money order made payable to Albany State University. Be sure to write "SOAR" on your money order and mail payment to:
Albany State University
ATTN: Financial Operations
504 College Drive
Albany, GA 31705
Payments mailed to ASU should be received five or more days prior to the orientation date. If you have any questions or concerns, please call (229) 430-3978.
What is an acceptance letter and where do I get it?
- An acceptance letter is your confirmation that you have been accepted into Albany State University. This letter will be sent to the email address listed on your application for admission. If you have received your acceptance letter, congratulations! If you have not, please contact the Office of Enrollment Services at 229-430-4646.
Can I register for orientation now and pay the fee when I arrive for Orientation?
- Your SOAR orientation and SOAR Too payments can be paid on site or it can be paid by mail by sending a personal check, cashier's check, or money order.
Can transfer students attend general sessions?
- Yes. Transfer students are welcome at general sessions, but must stay for the entire session.
Do I have to stay for the entire orientation session?
- Yes. Students are expected to stay for the entire session.
Where will I park for orientation?
- The ACAD building parking lot holds ample parking for students attending SOAR. There is no charge. Parking is prohibited in the yellow or green reserved parking spaces.
Will I have to pay tuition the day of orientation?
- You will be able to pay for tuition fees after you have registered for your classes.
Will I get to register for classes at orientation?
- Yes. You will meet with your academic advisor to learn how to log into the BANNER system and to register for classes. For more information about Academic Advisement, please contact the Academic Advising and Retention Center at 229-430-3976
Can children attend orientation?
- SOAR Too is the orientation especially designed for parents and families. The cost to attend SOAR Too is $35 per person, which includes meals and orientation materials. Parents are encouraged to attend orientation, as it is an excellent opportunity for family members to learn about Albany State University and get questions answered. Families may not want to bring small children due to the format of the program.
Can my parents attend the academic advising session with me?
- No. These sessions are designed to provide an opportunity for the student to develop an independent relationship with their academic advisor.
What do I do if I or one of my guests needs special accommodations for an orientation session?
- Call the FSYE Office at 229-430-3978 as soon as possible so we can make arrangements.
How does the office of orientation process refunds?
- Our office does not issue refunds. However, if you decide you are not coming to Albany State University, please inform the FSYE Office at 229-430-3978 as soon as possible.
Can I bring my pet to an orientation session?
- No. Animals are not permitted in ASU facilities.
How do I obtain a passport application?