Federal Grant Programs

All grants are awarded according to financial need, as determined by the federal formula that calculates your expected family contribution (EFC) from the information you submitted on the FAFSA. Students who are eligible for federal student aid have their eligibility for federal grants evaluated after completing the FAFSA.

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants may be awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree. The amount of aid students can receive varies depending on their financial need, cost of attendance, and other eligibility criteria.

Students can receive the Federal Pell Grant for no more than 12 semesters or the equivalent:

For more detailed information on eligibility and how to apply for the Federal Pell Grant, visit
The FSEOG program is for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest expected family contributions (EFCs) will be considered first for an FSEOG. The FSEOG does not have to be repaid.

For more detailed information on eligibility and how to apply for the FSEOG, visit http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/grants-scholarships/FSEOG.
A student whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept. 11, 2001, may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.

For more detailed information on eligibility and how to apply for the IASG, visit http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/grants-scholarships/iraq-afghanistan-service.

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides grants of up to $4,000 per academic year to students who are completing or plan to complete coursework required to start a career in teaching. Students receiving the grant must sign the agreement to serve and agree to teach:

  • In a high-need field
  • At an elementary school, secondary school or educational service agency that serves low-income students
  • At least four complete academic years within eight years after completing the course of study for which the grant was received

All students in a TEACH-eligible program at the University will be sent a notification letter of their potential eligibility and instructions on how to apply for the TEACH Grant. Students must have a cumulative GPA of a least 3.25, sign an Agreement to Serve (ATS) at https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/launchTeach.action, and complete all required counseling each year they wish to be considered for a TEACH Grant.

For more detailed information on eligibility and how to apply for the TEACH Grant, visit http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/grants-scholarships/teach.







Click the title of the types of Federal Grant Programs to learn more