Student Social Work Association
SSWA is the Division's student social work organization designed to promote the continued professional growth and development of each BSW and MSW student. The elected officers of SSWA work with the Division's administration, faculty and staff to ensure that collaborative student representation occurs in the development of social work curriculum and policy issues. Through progressive student action both within and outside of the BSW and MSW programs, students engage in the pursuit of social, economic and environmental justice throughout Southwest Georgia and beyond. The organization assists student in creating a deeper understanding of, and appreciation for, the profession of social work, encouraging active participation in such social work organizations as the National Association of Social Workers (NASW).
- An undergraduate with the declaration of a Social Work major
- Undergraduate Social Work Majors
- Graduate Social Work students
- Students in good standing with the program and university
- Membership of $75.00
- $35.00 per semester ($5.00 for Benevolence)
Eta Delta Phi Alpha Honor Society
Phi Alpha is a national honor society for BSW and MSW students. The purpose of the organization is to provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Albany State University’s local chapter of Eta Delta fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work. Faculty who are not members may be granted membership by invitation of the Executive Committee and approval of the chapter membership.
Undergraduate Eligibility Requirements
- Declared social work as an undergraduate major
- Achieved sophomore status
- Competed 12 semester hours of required social work courses
- Achieved an overall grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Achieved a 3.25 grade point average in required social work courses
Graduate Eligibility Requirements
- MSW student in good standing in the program
- Complete a minimum of 12 semester hours of MSW Program courses
- Achievement of an overall grade point average of 3.5 on a scale of 4.0
- One time membership of $75.00
- The program provides opportunities for inter-professional and interdisciplinary collaboration through the development and implementation of semester projects and activities.
- The experience of negotiating within the structure of an organization.
- The development of strategies to meet goals and objectives.
- Community involvement
- Hospitality services