ADA Policies and Procedures
Albany State University has adopted internal grievance procedures providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging discrimination of persons with disabilities. The Americans with Disabilities Act states, in part that “no otherwise qualified disabled individual shall, solely by reason of such disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination” in programs, activities, or employment practices (28 CFR 35.104)
Vice President for Student Affairs
Albany State University
504 College Drive
Albany, GA 31705
- This grievance procedure shall apply to complaints filed by employees and/or on behalf of students, alleging disability harassment, and/or regarding conduct carried out by employees, other students, and third parties.
- A complaint should be filled in writing containing the name and address of the person filing it and a brief description of the alleged violation(s) of the regulation. If the grievant’s disability renders them unable to file a complaint in writing, the complaint may be filed verbally with transcription.
- A complaint should be filed within 180 days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation(s). (Processing of allegations of discrimination, which occurred before this grievance procedure was in place, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.) Upon the filing of any complaint, a copy of such complaint shall be furnished to the person(s) named therein who allegedly committed a discriminatory practice. Information provided to the respondent will be limited to maintain privacy related to the grievant. The respondent may file an answer to the complaint within fifteen days of receipt of the written complaint. The University will withhold a copy of the complaint from the accused when the University chooses to decline pursuit of an investigation
- Albany State University will conduct an adequate, reliable, and impartial investigation of a complaint filed pursuant to the grievance procedure. The Student Accessibility Services Grievance Board will review all documentation and send forth a recommendation to the Vice President for Student Affairs. The investigation shall be conducted under the direction of the Vice President for Student Affairs. These rules contemplate, informal, but thorough investigations, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to a complaint.
- The Equity and Compliance Director will review complaints in the event that the initial reviewer is also the respondent. The Equity and Compliance Director can be reached at 229-500-3304.
- A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, shall be issued by the Vice President for Student Affairs and a copy forwarded to the grievant no later than thirty days after its filing.
- The Vice President for Student Affairs shall maintain the files and records of Albany State University relating to the complaints filed.
- The grievant can request a reconsideration within 15 business days in instances where he or she is dissatisfied with the resolution. Should new information pertaining to the grievance be identified, the case may be reopened for consideration. The request for reconsideration should be made to Chief Legal Officer at 229-500-3303. Allow up to 15 business days for response from Chief Legal Officer.
- The right of a person to prompt and equitable resolution of the complaint filed, hereunder, shall not be impaired by the person’s pursuit of other remedies, such as, the filing of an ADA complaint with the responsible federal department or agency. Use of this grievance procedure is not a prerequisite to the pursuit of other remedies.
- The rules shall be construed to protect the substantive rights of interested persons to meet appropriate due process standards and to assure that Albany State University complies with the ADA and implementing regulations.