International Students F1 Status

International Flag Banner

Maintaining F1 Status

Click the title for more information

  • Initial difficulty with the English language or U.S. teaching methods requires documentation from the instructor
  • Improper course placement (i.e. adviser registered you for a class for which you did not meet prerequisites) – requires documentation from advisor
  • Medical conditions requires documentation from a licensed medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or licensed clinical psychologist
  • Completion of course of study you must notify the International Student Coordinator prior to the registration that you are finishing your requirements for graduation in that semester and that fewer courses are needed to complete the degree
  • You may not accept off-campus employment or engage in business (i.e. you provide services for a fee or sell products) without authorization from the International Student Coordinator (for curricular practical training (CPT), optional practical training (OPT) or severe economic hardship (SEH) only and from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Do not work on campus for more than 19.5 hours a week. You may work up to full-time during the summer or official breaks (campus regulations may restrict some employment).

Your I-20 must state your
current program of study and must not expire
. See the International Student Coordinator within 10 days when you change your major. See the International Student Coordinator for a program extension if you will not complete your program before the expiration date on your I-20. Note: program extensions may not be granted for academic difficulties, so work hard to not be put on exclusion!

You must provide the International Student Coordinator your new address within 10 days of moving. The International Student Coordinator will enter your new address in SEVIS, and you will not be required to submit an AR-11 address change form to USCIS. Note: Those subject to National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS) Special Registration must notify the International Student Coordinator and also submit an AR - 11SR address change form to USCIS.