About University College
What is University College?
University College (UC) at Albany State University focuses on the first-year experience. It is a space to ensure you are RAM READY! UC prepares you for
- transition into college life,
- career exploration, and
- making connections between your interests and academic focus.
It is a place where you will learn, grow, and build community. UC touches every first-year student and provides academic and non-academic support. Join us this fall and you will
- be part of an engaging and innovative learning community,
- take classes with a small group of students,
- have dedicated advisors,
- have study abroad, internship, and on-campus work opportunities, and
- spend more time exploring academic-related events and student engagement activities.
To provide a transformative first-year experience that sufficiently supports an effective transition into college life and subsequently prepares first-year students for the academic rigor of their major classes.
The University College will serve as a portal of entry for all first-year students. Functioning as central to an integrative system of support amongst student affairs, student services and academic affairs, UC will collaborate with campus partners to provide mentoring, training and development opportunities designed to empower students to
- be self-regulated learners,
- make a commitment to their own learning and invest in their academic success,
- select appropriate academic, networking and career opportunities and
- recognize the importance of self-care as a critical component of student success.
The vision of University College at Albany State University is to serve as a national model for how to effectively prepare first-year students for university-level expectations, bridge the gap between first-year students’ natural interests and academic students, and promote on-time graduation in every major. UC programs and initiatives will continue to flourish as a result of the innovative contributions and collaborations of ASU’s campus partners.
The University College will create and deliver best practices that foster the education, career development and student success of first-year students. This is achieved in through three principles:
- Collaboration: using collective resources to support all students
- Connection: positively impacting undergraduate student education by providing students with what they need to succeed
- Engagement: encouraging academic excellence and development through exploratory programs and experiential learning
The overarching goal of University College is focused on holistic college readiness to produce confident, committed, connected leaders who reflect Albany State University's core values and are uniquely and comprehensively prepared with the competencies needed for success.
By serving as a one-stop shop, centralized system that touches every first-year student, the goals of UC will
- align practices and policies to empower students to maKe informed academic and career choices related to both general core and major course selections,
- create opportunities and provide guidance for increased student achievement,
- administer programs that incorporate high-impact practices to support retention persistence and student success, and build the sKills needed in today's worKforce, and
- promote and support academic success of all students.