Nursing Student Handbooks
2017 - 2018 Graduate Student Handbook - MSN
Post-Program-Acceptance Change of Major Requirement
Upon receipt of your acceptance letter into the nursing program, you must first fill out the “Request for a Change of Major/Minor/Concentration” form online via the Office of the Registrar (linked above), indicating that you want to change your current major to one of the indicated majors (please utilized the exact verbiage below):
- ASN and Bridge Applicants: From "Health Science" to "Nursing (Associate of Science)"
- BSN Applicants: From "Health and Human Performance" to "Nursing (Bachelor of Science)"
- RN-to-BSN Applicants: From "Health Science," "Health and Human Performance," or "Nursing (Associate of Science)" to "BSN-Nursing"
Please be aware that we are unable to register students who are not appearing as a Nursing major variant.
First Day Forms (ASN Programs)
To be completed and submitted BY the first day of class (print and bring completed form with you):
- PreCheck Instructions (updated 11/02/2018)
- ACEMAPP Requirements (updated 11/02/2018)
- Declining Form Hepatitis (updated 11/02/2018)
- Memorandum of Understanding (updated 11/02/2018)
- Uniforms (updated 12/03/2018)
Nursing Student Organization (NSO)
The Nursing Student Organization (NSO) is the local chapter of GANS (Georgia Association
of Nursing Students) and is composed of students who are enrolled in ANY of Albany State University's nursing programs (both graduate and undergraduate) and
hold membership in the State by paying annual dues. Nursing students participate in
local, state, and national activities and conventions where they have an opportunity
to observe and participate in their professional organizations. Students join NSO
to enhance professional development.
Club Advisors: Lyla Taft, Andrea Dozier
Mandatory Student Health Insurance Waiver
Beginning Fall Semester 2014, all new students accepted into ANY of the programs under the Darton College of Health Professions at ASU will be required to show proof of active Medical Insurance coverage. This is a new Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia mandate and not an ASU mandate. Proof of coverage must be submitted between:
Spring.Summer 2020: November 7, 2019 – February 28, 2020. Submissions CANNOT be done BEFORE November 7, 2019 or AFTER February 28, 2020.
Submission is done via the United HealthCare Student Resources website.
Proof of coverage must be provided in one of the following ways:
- Through a currently active parent plan.
- Through a currently active individual or family plan.
- Through a currently active Employer-Sponsored plan.
- Through a currently active Darton College of Health Professions Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
- Through a currently active Government-Sponsored Plan.
If a student fails to provide appropriate proof of coverage during the dates stated above, the student will be automatically enrolled (via the Office of Financial Operations) into plan #4 above. As of November 4, 2019, the Annual Premium rate for Plan #4 is as follows:
- Spring/Summer 2020 Rate: $1,556.00*
* These rates are subject to change without notice.
Additionally, Health Insurance coverage must be maintained by the student throughout the entire time that he/she remains enrolled and is actively progressing through his/her respective Health Sciences or Nursing Program. If a student fails to maintain Health Insurance coverage, then he/she will be immediately dismissed from his/her respective Health Sciences or Nursing Program for failure to maintain the mandatory coverage as required by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. If you have any questions regarding this requirement, please contact your respective Program Director, the Nursing Division Office, or the Health Sciences Division Office.
If a student does not take any action, they will still be charged.