Campus construction projects to take place through March 2018
From December 2017 – March 2018, construction updates and improvements will take place across the East Campus housing areas. Students, faculty, staff, and visitors should exercise caution around construction zones. The following information is a synopsis of the construction projects.
Schedules and Sequencing
Scaffolding will be erected on Halls 1-4 to complete a chimney reconstruction project. Construction is expected to be finalized in mid-to late March. The projected scheduled is as follows:
- Halls 3 and 4 scaffolding will start Monday, December 18, and is expected to take 3 weeks.
- Halls 1 and 2 scaffolding will start Friday, January 5.
- Construction will occur from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays and various hours on weekends.
- Halls 3 and 4 scaffolding removal will begin Saturday, February 13.
- Concurrently, work will be done to repair the roofs of Hall 1-4 due to st
- Work will also be done over the holiday break to make improvements to the Student Center, including adding new furniture.
Safety and Parking
- The tower scaffold will be 12’ x 12’, free standing, with caged ladders.
- Covered pedestrian walkways will extend from exit doors and in the food service facility in the dorms.
- A safe zone will be marked with caution tape 8’ around all towers.
- The ladders will be locked during non-work hours to prevent climbing.
- During the construction of the chimney project, drones may be utilized. The ASU Police Department will be notified.
- Deliveries of materials will be made by tractor trailer rigs and may limit access to frontage roads for a short period. Flagman will be available for traffic control.
- All construction workers will wear vests and hardhats labeled “LRA”.
- Work hours are between 7 and 3:30 Monday thru Friday.
- Some student parking spaces may be impacted during staging and debris removal. Communication and alternative parking spaces will be made available to those students, if needed.
Housing - Residential Halls 5 & 6
- In early January 2018, Albany State will begin a construction project to upgrade rooms in Residential Halls 5 and 6.
- Approximately 50 students will be impacted and re-assigned to a different suite/room. While new rooms will be comparable in size and aesthetics, students may be residing in a different residence hall for the 2018 spring semester.
- Students will not incur any additional expenses as a result of the move. Impacted students will be directly contacted by the housing office.
For more information or questions regarding the construction work, please contact Facilities Management at 229-430-0697.
In the case of an emergency, contact the ASU Police Department at (229) 430-4711.